Thursday, August 17, 2006

Comic Book film, TV, and DVD projects

A a comic book geek, I'm stoked about how Marvel reinvented itself from bankrupt 1990s company to worldwide mega-brand.

And now they're sooo into movies, and branching into TV and DVD. And not "Bad Captain America direct-to-DVD" DVD.

Marvel just posted a list of their visual media projects in the pipeline -- and I'm a bit giddy.

Of course, I ignore most projects in "Development", as the majority of those never see the light of day -- part of "Development" is feasibility assessment, and if it doesn't make sense, it doesn't make sense. For me, "Pre-production" is only slightly less "mheh."

"In Production" is more exciting to me, as are the "Self-Financed Films", as Marvel has committed bocu bucks for the Intellectual Properties they announced financing for last year.

And applicability to me as an actor? I want to be in all of the Marvel projects. I'm going to be following up on every one of these, particularly the voice acting opportunities.

I'll maybe add more commentary later, but for now, here's the list, with a "*" by those items about which I'm particularly excited (for character, writer, and/or director reasons), and a "?" next to those I'm a little concerned about (for the same reasons).

Marvel visual media projects in the pipeline (with IMDb links where I was able):

Studio Financed Films

Self-Financed Films

  • Iron Man
    Release date - May 2, 2008
    Distributed by Paramount
    * Director - JON FAVREAU (Made, Elf, Zathura)
    Production Designer – J. MICHAEL RIVA (Spider-Man 3, Zathura)
    VFX Supervisor – JOHN NELSON (I Robot, The Matrix 2, 3, Academy Award winner for Gladiator)
    * Director of Photography – MATTHEW LIBATIQUE (Inside Man, Requiem for A Dream)
  • The Incredible Hulk
    Distributed by Universal
    Director: Louis Leterrier (Unleashed, Transporter 2)
    * Writer: Zak Penn (X-Men: The Last Stand, X2: X-Men Men United, Last Action Hero)
  • Ant-Man
    Distributed by Paramount
    * Director: Edgar Wright (Shaun of The Dead)
  • ** Captain America
    Distributed by Paramount
    Writer: David Self (Road to Perdition, Thirteen Days)
  • Nick Fury
    Distributed by Paramount
    Writer: Andrew Marlowe (Air Force One, Hollow Man, End of Days)
  • Thor
    Distributed by Paramount
    Writer: Mark Protosevich (I Am Legend, The Cell)
  • The Avengers
    Distributed by Paramount
    * Writer: Zak Penn (The Incredible Hulk, X-Men: The Last Stand, X2: X-Men Men United, Last Action Hero)

Animation

No comments: