Saturday, January 21, 2006

Go see Irene is a Cactus!

I caught Saturday's afternoon matinee, and I am impressed.

Part of Fronterafest 2006, the play showcases talented folks. The play is well written and acted, and a solid part of the Long Fringe program for Fronterafest. Devin S. Moss does a great job supporting and exemplifying the character traits introduced early in the play throughout (and he dances). Drew Whelpley (my second favorite Whataburger dude) and my buddy Aaron Hallaway have powerful, impressive (and slickly orchestrated) intersecting character arcs.

And speaking of Aaron, yes he's a friend, but I am seriously impressed with his acting chops. Aaron plays mild Tourettes Syndrome mannerisms so well, so believably, and so empathy grabbing -- just go see the play. I don't say my friends are talented just because they're my friends.

I'm inspired.

Remaining Schedule:

  • Thursday 1/26 @ 7:00pm
  • Sunday 1/29 @ 5:45pm
Tickets are only $10. Call 479-PLAY (479-7529). For the Sunday show, if you call after 6 p.m. on Friday call the Blue Theater directly at (512) 927-1118.

More info:

RoHo Productions and Fronterafest 2006.

presents

Irene is a Cactus

By Rocky Hopson

Starring
Susan Mara Stith
Diana Reddish
Devin S. Moss
Aaron Hallaway
Drew Whelpley

At the Blue Theatre 916 Springdale Road.

Irene is a Cactus is a comedy/drama based on a true story about Gwen, a 29-year-old, whose severe allergies left her isolated in her home her whole life. When her mother has a debilitating stroke and can't take care of her any longer Gwen is forced to prove she is capable of independence.

"Irene is a touching story of family and friends, with each character clearly delineated, clearly motivated, and clearly executed." Carl Gauze, Ink19.com

No comments: